Wednesday 21 July 2010

winter brrrrrrrrr

I am currently going through my third Sydney winter. With this vast experience behind me, I can now share with you some extensive research I have conducted into Sydney winters. I have learnt the following things:

- No matter how old or new, rickety or solid your house is, during winter, the inside temperature will maintain a constant 10 degrees colder than the outside temperature.

- This is due to the Australian insistence that insulation is on the whole unnecessary.

- This in turn means that, no matter how old or new, rickety or solid your house is, you will constantly find patches of mould on your walls.

- To combat this, the advice is to ventilate your rooms thoroughly, everyday. This lowers even further the indoor temperature of your house.

- The disparity between indoor and outdoor temperature may trick you into putting on 64782 layers before you leave the house. Don't. You will be sweating within minutes.

- No matter how hot I am hurrying around with one too many layers on, I still see plenty of Sydneysiders all bundled up in hats, scarves and big padded coats as though they were off for a polar expedition.

- To cope with indoor temperatures, I have established from talking to Australians that it is normal to have an array of thick winter houseclothes, far more than you would ever need outside.

- As well as the above, it is normal to have a duvet on your sofa during winter, to sit under when you are watching tv, reading, or other sofa-based activities. I went in for this this winter and it's lovable!

2 comments:

mutikonka said...

Definitely agree with all those points - and I thought ours was the only house that had duvets/sleeping bags out on the sofa during winter. I understand now why the Ugg boot was invented in Australia (for indoor use, not that I have any, of course ...).

Anna said...

I know, several of the girls at work have uggs but if you suggest they wear them outside they look at you in horror! They are an indoor necessity only!