Tuesday 2 March 2010

Das Erdbeben in Chile

The week began with a major tsunami warning along Australia's east coast on Sunday, after Chile's earthquake. Ocean beaches were closed from Bondi and Manly in Sydney right up to Queensland, as raised water levels and dangerous currents were predicted. Fortunately, we escaped unscathed.

What I found astounding though was the way people still continued to visit the beaches, even going in the sea, while the warning was in place, exasperating lifeguards. Quite a contrast to the situation shown in a news report on Samoa, also on tsunami alert, which was devastated by a tsunami last year. People there were panicking, fearing a repeat performance, while in Sydney people were travelling to the ocean to 'watch the waves'. What do people need in order to learn? Do they need a 50ft wave to crush them to death? People are stupid. They make no sense.

---

Saturday was a scorching hot, clear day with bright blue skies over Sydney. We pottered around the corner for a late breakfast at Bitton (amazing scrambled eggs), then to Sydney Park for a lie down under the shade of the trees, then back up to King Street for a juice in South End Cafe. I'd not been to South End before but had read some good reviews, and it seemed like a really nice cafe. Lovely decor and a really homely, cosy feel. They had a really good range of juice options (I had my usual apple and ginger but they offered a good selection including beetroot which I always think is a good sign that people are taking their juice seriously). I must return to try the food at some point.

Sunday we were up early and off to Balmoral Beach, which being further in the harbour seemed to have no tsunami issues to be raised. It wasn't that nice a day in the end, overcast and windy, but we lay a long time on the beach, reading.

---

I lost an earring having a picnic in Sydney Park a couple of weeks ago, one that Lep sent me for Christmas, little hoops with birds on. We were sitting in a more secluded area of the park and by the time we left it was dark and there were no lights. We had only walked about 20 metres across the grass when I realised it had falled out so I assumed that if I went back in the light, I would probably find it as it was unlikely anyone would have been through and picked it up. But unfortunately it was nowhere to be found in the grass. I keep finding the other one all lonesome in the bottom of my bag - I never know what to do with lone earrings - and it makes me sad :(

No comments: