Friday 16 January 2009

lost property

Another weekend is upon us, ahhh a much needed break. The weeks are rushing by so fast at the moment.

This week has been rather calm, not much to do at work, and not really a lot to report from the evenings. On Thursday a slight error occurred: I went and spent $40 after work on a Bodum ice tea jug and some turkish apple tea to make in it, only to leave it on the train on the way home!!! I was so annoyed. I emailed the lost property office at CityRail with all the details so I am now hoping some nice honest person will have handed it in, or at least left it on the train so the train guard could remove it. People in Australia on the whole do seem like quite nice honest folk compared to the average UK citizen.

So I got home all in a bad mood after witnessing my brand new $40 jug pootling off on its own on the train to start its new life in Hornsby. So to cheer me up Mark put me (and himself) back on a train to the city, where we took a trip to Chinatown to eat at Mamak, one of my new favourite malaysian restaurants. After a couple of their lime syrup drinks, some vegetable curry, noodles and a huge roti tisu, I was in a much better mood.

This is popping up on a lot of blogs at the moment, but I love it so: poladroid, a little app to make your photos look like polaroids....faux-laroids if you will.

Photobucket

I love the colours it turns the photos.

The only other things really to add are as follows:

a) Tom Stoppard is a genius;

b) I saw the most brilliant film last Saturday: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It is based on an F. Scott Fitzgerald story about a man who ages backwards - he is born old and gets younger. The idea suggested to Fitzgerald was that it would be great to be young but to have all the knowledge and experience of someone at the end of their life.
The story is so uplifting but also so sad. Benjamin Button falls in love with a young girl while he is an "old man", and after many adventures comes back to find her when they are the same age (their ages 'meet in the middle', so to speak). It becomes so emotional as the reality eventually hits them that they will not be able to grow old together, and she will essentially end up as his 'mother'. The story also really makes you think about the similarities between young children and elderly people. As Benjamin reaches the end of his life, as he becomes a young child, a doctor comments that he is showing signs of dementia. You then see the child Benjamin behaving in a typically childlike way, demanding to do irrational things and becoming unable to relate to adults properly.

It comes out in mid-Feb I think in the UK. You should all go and see it, it's one of the best films I've seen for a long time.

No comments: