Tuesday 30 September 2008

Marmite v. Vegemite

Talk to any Marmite-loving Brit about moving to Australia and sooner or later the big Marmite Problem will come up. On Australian supermarket shelves, in amongst the Cadbury's chocolate, Heinz Baked Beans and a plethora of other recognisable brands, Marmite is conspicuously absent. And in it's place? Vegemite.

Those little red and yellow jars have been taunting me whenever I go grocery shopping. "Try me!", they seem to cry out at me, making me feel weak from Marmite withdrawal. But thus far I resisted, the advice of friends ringing in my ears: "If you like Marmite you'll never like Vegemite"...."it tastes like Marmite gone wrong"....."just get someone to send you some Marmite in the post"....

But today, I caved in. The curiousity had become too much. "If I just try it once, I never have to try it again", I thought to myself, and before I knew what was happening I was grabbing the jar, hurrying through the check-out, and dashing back up the hill home, where my loaf of bread awaited.

Dear readers, I invite you to join me now, on a journey of Vegemite discovery.

Let us start with the jar. The jar itself looks harmless enough, and it even has a yellow lid like Marmite. I bought the smallest size - easier to dispose of in case of taste-bud disaster - 150g of 'concentrated yeast extract', which cost just over $2. Proudly made in Australia since 1923. Let's see just how proud they are entitled to be.

Photobucket

The lid is stiff, but off it comes. The moment of truth awaits - will it look and smell like Marmite? It certainly looks like it; opaque and brown. The smell is similar too, although sweeter and perhaps less potent. Now my bread is at the ready, a nice layer of margarine on top. Only half a slice, in case it is horrific. Knife goes in....

Photobucket

It's like jelly! It is not runny like Marmite and in fact resembles more of a marmalade in its consistency. It does not reform it's flat surface when you remove the knife, which is disconcerting. But still, I've got this far, so on to the bread it goes. It spreads nicely; being less sticky that Marmite it doesn't pull the bread apart or refuse to leave the knife. Now we have the finished article....

Photobucket

I chew carefully. It is most definitely a sweeter substance than Marmite, and a lot less salty tasting. This would all be acceptable were it not for the strong aftertaste of beer. Yes, I am aware that yeast goes in beer as well as in stuff to put on bread and that this is therefore only natural, but Marmite seem to have worked out that that is a taste worth removing. Or at least covering up with excess salt. The makers of Vegemite seem to have missed the memo that nobody likes spreading thick brown beer spread on their toast.

Still, I make it through the whole thing and out the other side feeling enlightened. Whilst different from Marmite and perhaps an acquired taste, I think with a bit of perseverance I could get used to this Vegemite malarkey.
But don't worry, Marmite, it's just a little fling: you're still my number one yeast extract!

3 comments:

The Mupersans said...

You've been awarded.... http://mupersan.blogspot.com/2008/11/arte-y-pico-award.html

Ash said...

You can buy Marmite here in Brisbane, Yet it sounds a bit different to the kind you are used to. Its not salty, and it is think like vegemite. But it tastes a lot better than vegemite ever will!

Ash said...

You can buy Marmite here in Brisbane, Yet it sounds a bit different to the kind you are used to. Its not salty, and it is think like vegemite. But it tastes a lot better than vegemite ever will!