Tuesday 2 August 2011

Jack in the Green

In Bristol, we have a traditional May Day celebration every year - Jack in the Green. The Green Man, Jack, is led through the city, attracting followers along the way and is led to Horfield Common, where he is killed and the spirit of summer is released.

This year it happened on the 7th of May, and, being in Bristol for Jack in the Green for the first time in a while, I decided to follow the procession. Pere also joined me.

After a quick stop in the Amnesty Bookstore on Gloucester Road, where they were having an epic sale and all books were about 10p, we joined Jack and his followers in Redland, where they were having a dance.

greenman1


He was then led onwards through Redland, down to Gloucester Road, and all the way up towards Horfield, singing all the way.

greenman2

jackinthegreen


Pere took the photo of me with Jack. As you may see, I have a green nose. That is Jack's magic - his followers offer some of Jack's magic to everyone we pass.

Jack was pretty wayward on the route. He tries to run into pubs, chases women and frightens children. He has to be controlled with sticks.

greenman3

greenman5


We turned up Ash Road and headed for the common, with quite a crowd following Jack now. There were a lot of people waiting on the common for Jack, as this is where he meets his death.

greenman6


Jack tries to escape, but he is penned in for his final dance. His fate is sealed as his followers recite the Green Man verse...

Like antlers, like veins of the brain the birches
Mark patterns of mind on the red winter sky;
‘I am thought of all plants, ’ says the Green Man,
‘I am thought of all plants,’ says he.

The Hungry birds harry the last berries of rowan
But white is her bark in the darkness of rain;
‘I rise with the sap, ’ says the Green Man,
‘I rise with the sap,’ says he.

The ashes are clashing their boughs like sword-dancers,
Their black buds are tracing wild faces in the clouds;
‘I come with the wind, ’ says the Green Man,
‘I come with the wind, ’ says he.

The Alders are rattling as though ready for battle
Guarding the grove where she waits for her lover;
‘I burn with desire, ’ says the Green Man,
‘I burn with desire, ’ says he.

In and out of the yellowing wands of the willow
The pollen-bright bees are plundering the catkins;
‘I am honey of love, ’ says the Green Man,
‘I am honey of love, ’ says he.

The hedges of quick are thick with May blossom
As the dancers advance on the leaf-covered King:
‘It’s off with my head, ’ says the Green Man’
‘It’s off with my head, ’ Says he.


greenman7


Jack is thrown to the ground and a spear is hurled through him. The spirit of summer is finally released!

greenman8


Jack is pulled apart - if you take a piece of him home you will have good luck all summer!

And so summer began. And for me has been incredibly busy. I'll hopefully get some updates up this week so my faithful readers can see what I've been up to!

No comments: