Wednesday 16 June 2010

100th post!!!

I just finished writing the last post and clicked back to the main dashboard page when I noticed my blog stats:

'The Life of Pie' - 99 posts.

So this is my 100th post! That doesn't really seem like many, since I've had this blog since I guess May or June 2008. Oh, 2 years!

Just a couple of weeks time will mark my two year anniversary of being in Australia. It's strange how settled we've become in that time. I never expected to get on this well, looking back on it, the first few months were quite hard for me. Mark had a far easier time, as he obviously went straight into his job as he arrived and Macquarie Uni pretty much did everything for him in terms of organising our move and sorting out all his bits for him. The first day we caught the bus out to the uni (pre Epping-Chatswood rail link!) his office was waiting with his name on the door and all the staff took us out for coffee.

For me it was a lot harder - I didn't work at first but ended up just being left on my own a lot of the time, which is quite daunting in a big city like Sydney with a non-comprehensive public transport network. Especially since we were accommodated up in middle of nowhere North Ryde, great for Mark (next to uni) but terrible for me as it took an hour to get anywhere. Then I started temping but it was very sporadic and I didn't really have a routine or guaranteed income. Stuff got a bit better when we moved down to Meadowbank and I started working at HCF, and then even better still since we moved into the Inner West. I LOVE the Inner West. I honestly cannot think of a better place in the world to live. And now I have my new job that I love (mostly, obviously not when I'm still there at 6.30pm like today) and a good salary and an awesome apartment and a piano and a brand new SEWING MACHING (thanks, Mark!) and great coffee on my doorstep and great food on my doorstep and an amazing park on my doorstep (Sydney Park) and I live in a city where just a 15 minute train ride to Circular Quay and stepping onto the Manly ferry can make me feel like I am on holiday all year round.

The weather is beautiful at the moment. Cold, so cold but glorious in the sunshine. Even Bondi looked beautiful at the weekend (I love Bondi in winter sun. Shame about the trashiness of it in Summer). This week is due to be warmer. It certainly makes up for the month of rain that we just suffered through. I'm wondering how this winter will be. 2008 was so cold, record low Sydney temperatures and it didn't even start to warm up until October. 2009 had the cold snap in June but by August was a delight.

Anyway, thanks for reading 100 posts, people. Or 50 or 20 or 1 or however many you've persevered through. In honour of the 100th post, let's all say hello! Leave me a comment, tell me who you are, where you are, why you read!

I'll start. I'm Anna. I live in Sydney ....

2 comments:

mutikonka said...

Hi Anna

Congratulations on hitting the Big 100. You should count up the words - there's probably as many as in a novel.
I'm Michael. I live in Sydney ... moved here from Leeds more than 10 years ago, and came across your blog while looking for other 'poms' blogging in Australia. Interesting to read how other people settle into Sydney - not sure we have yet!

Sarah said...

Hi Anna,

I'm Sarah and I live in Somerset, England. Although not for much longer.....! Last day at work today, 9 weeks and then we fly to Sydney in August to start our life in another hemisphere. I found your blog while trawling around looking British blogs and enjoyed reading about your adventures. Still do.

Congrats on the 100 posts!